Smt. Ashwini Bhide, IASManaging Director, Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (MMRCL)
The Govt. of Maharashtra is committed to implement ‘Metro Rail Projects’ to improve traffic & transportation scenario in Mumbai Metropolitan Region(MMR).
Mumbai Metro Line 3 (MML-3) which is 33.5 km long fully underground corridor with 27 stations (26 underground & 1 at grade) connecting Colaba to SEEPZ via BKC is a part of “Mumbai Metro Master Plan” covering 9 corridors with 153 kms to be implemented in three phases. Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation (MMRC) has been constituted as a 50:50 Joint Venture (JV) between the Govt. of India (GOI) and Govt. of Maharashtra (GOM) and is responsible for the implementation of this project.
The objective of Metro is to provide a “Rail based Mass Rapid Transit Facility” to people residing in areas presently not connected by Suburban Rail System and to bring the Metro System within reach of 500 meters to 1 km.
The project has immense advantages for public such as:
- Saving in travel time
- Reduction in pollution
- De-congestion of roads
- Comfortable journey in air-conditioned environment
- No road stress, significant saving of energy
- Carbon neutral mode of transport
- Connectivity to airport 6 CBDs, 30 educational institutes, 13 hospitals
- Facility of escalators/lifts for senior citizen/differently abled
- Safety of passengers with no trespassing due to platform screen doors
The project will have unique features such as:
- Smart lighting based stations
- Platform screen doors
- Modern & energy efficient rolling stock
- Station access controlled with AFC/smart cards etc.
- State-of-the-art elevators/escalators